Sherwood Forest

Robyn to the Rescue!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Changes Afoot

Going to begin adding movie reviews, comments on observations and talk about many of the things I used to talk about on GoldToken.com Why? Figure I'm getting a little tired of that site. I'm going to finish off my games, maybe play a game or two once in awhile and move on. Reasons? Many. Some of them are I'm tired of the level of discourse there. Yeah, it's a family site, but that doesn't mean it has to be so boring, so trivial, so uninteresting. Example: I post a comment on celebrity split ups on the Critics DB and the thread degenerates into a testimonial on the longevity of a marriage by a member. Uh, yawn... No witty comments, just that. Other DBs are not much better. On the Politics DB we have a person who reads an article, makes a snap judgement, and posts an entirely predictable response. It's all just so boring now. Other things are annoying too. Playing chess and checkers against the top rated players there is, and I think this may be the case for all correspondence type games, a waste of time. Most, if not all, of the top players in chess use databases and chess engines. So, who am I playing? Certainly not the person listed across the board. And in checkers we have a person who is obviously using a program--one does not muddle along at a certain rating and then suddenly gain 300 points. It doesn't happen.

Other changes coming up too. I will be changing my ISP. I've had Comcast cable for a couple years. They and Time Warner have switched monopolistic areas and now I have the latter. Problem is the price. $45 for cable and $10 for basic cable TV--with tax and other charges-$62, is not good. I've decided to go with Verizon DSL, a Verizon land phone line and DishTV for about the same price because although the Internet connection is slower, I will get a full lineup of television channels--which I'm not getting with Time Warner. I need a broadband connection because I subscribe to the HP Rhapsody subscription music service. However, I'm considering whether I need any of this. Wouldn't dialup and less online time be better? Get out and see the world, read books in my free time--this seems better. Life is short. Sitting in front of a computer all day and night seems like a huge waste of time.

So, there you have it. Changes afoot. I'll now be updating this site regularly. If anyone is actually reading it, stay tuned...


Btw, here are my other blog sites:

Yahoo 360--Robyn's Hode

MSN Spaces--Robyn's Hode

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home